Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Paradigm...


For me, there is the board. A certain board that represents a lot of what I like in surfing. For me, surfing is a continuum of historical experience and innovation evolving through time to the present. This board represents this idea. For me, surfing is a sport of elegance and brilliance combined with pragmatism. It is a local phenomenon that thrives in a kind of regionalism that runs counter to the globalization fetishist's rallying cry- "more of the same because people are mostly the same." This board represents my thoughts. For me, surfing is a personal journey of challenge, enjoyment, and pure fun. This board resonates along those lines. 5'7" Steve Lis Fish. Geppy keels out of a lighter wood (birch?). In remarkably good condition for a board from 1976 (awaiting confirmation). Note the original leash hole drilled through the left keel. And yes, it will be surfed.
Here's a 5'8 that I simply loved....now gone to delam and dings.

4 comments:

Tom Threinen said...

Nice Lis fish! I had the good fortune to buy a fish right off Stevie's shaping rack in 1972. It was a 5'4" kneeboard that I glassed myself, with the same wooden keel fins. I didn't ride that board a lot, so it stayed in good condition, and then went into storage for decades. A couple years ago I donated it to the Surfing Heritage Museum collection, and it now rests on display there. It was appraised at $2,500.

Let's get together for some mat surfing sometime.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have a buyer for your 11'2"! He'll buy it without seeing it. Hope you haven't sold it yet. The only thing is that I don't have your phone # anymore. Can you call me? Or emial me at my name, @, the place that I work, .com
Cheers,
Deb

borntoloser said...

Thomas, I agree a mat session is due for us. I'd love to get together and share some waves and talk a bit. I'm loving Don Redondo right now....
email me at asmith at dee emm you ess dee dot org.

Deb, Thanks for going on the hunt for a buyer for me. I actually traded the board on Monday. I texted Rshredder and asked him to let you know since I have lost your phone # as well. See you at the beachy!

pranaglider said...

Those boards are ALL TIME!